Google Chrome Redirect Virus is a type of malware that redirects the web browser to other unwanted websites. The entire troubleshooting procedure on how to remove redirect virus from Google Chrome may require basic technical knowledge about computer.
The nature of a Google Chrome Redirect Virus is it redirects the users to other websites, gives a different browser homepage, creates pop-up ads and blinking banners, adds unauthorized browser extensions or toolbars, and worst case scenario, steals the browsing preferences, personal and financial information of the users. That’s why it is commonly called as browser hijacker or adware.
The main reason why this virus was created is to gain cold hard cash. People who propagate this type of malware earns small amount of money from one visitor redirected to the client’s websites, imagine that millions are infected with this computer virus.
The common sources of the Google Chrome Redirect Virus are the free software downloads online. This is a sneaky type of virus that hides inside a free legitimate software downloadable online. When a user downloads and installs this software to the computer, even some anti-virus cannot detect this browser hijacker program.
The redirect virus makes users uncomfortable using the browser. Below is the step by step guide on how to remove Google Chrome redirect virus which can be done in 5 – 20 minutes.
Steps to Remove Redirect Virus from Google Chrome
1. Remove or Uninstall Potentially Unwanted Programs
The first thing to do in order to resolve this problem is to uninstall the suspicious programs in the computer. Programs which you are not familiar with, and the best tip is to check the most recently installed software in your computer. Be extra careful when uninstalling programs since you don’t want to remove important programs for the computer to run smoothly and the ones you are using. To double check the program you want to delete, Just google its name.
Caution: This step requires some technical knowledge. If you are not so sure you can do this step, better to skip this and proceed to the next step.
To view all the list of installed programs in your computer and to uninstall suspicious programs, follow these steps:
- Go to Start then click Control Panel.
- Chose uninstall a program located under Programs category.
- In the list of programs, click the Installed On row to arrange the list in descending or ascending order based on installation date.
- Click on the program you want to uninstall (Google it first to double check) then click Uninstall at the top of the list or right click then chose Uninstall.
After this, continue with the next step below.
2. Clean and Reset the Google Chrome Browser
The next step is to manually clean your Google Chrome browser and reset it. Google Chrome Redirect Virus changed some of your browser settings, changed the Google Chrome shortcut properties, added unauthorized add-ons, extensions or toolbars. The best thing to do is to reset the browser which will restore settings into original defaults. Deleting the browsing data stored in the browser is also a good counter measure for the possible unauthorized access to personal and financial information.
To reset Google Chrome Browser:
- Go to the Customize and Control Option (the 3 vertical dots button below the close button located at the topmost right corner of the browser) then chose Settings.
- Click the Show advance settings link at the bottom of the Settings page.
- Click Reset Settings >> Reset, it is located at the bottom of the Advanced Settings.
To delete browsing data:
- Go to Customize and Control Option >> History >> History.
- Click the Clear browsing data button on the right sidebar. (Shortcut key to step 1 and 2: Control + Shift + Delete).
- Chose the beginning of time >> check all checkboxes except Media licenses >> Clear browsing data.
To delete unauthorized added extensions:
- Go to Customize and Control Option >> More tools >> Extensions.
- Click the trash bin icon of the extension you want to delete from Google Chrome >> Remove.
To delete added code to the Google Chrome Shortcut:
- Go to Start >> Right click Google Chrome >> Chose Properties. Or go to Google Chrome Shortcut in your desktop >> Right Click >> Chose Properties.
- In the Shortcut Tab, you’ll see Target Type, Target Location, Target etc. In the Target, you’ll see this “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe”. Anything added after the chrome.exe” delete it. Make sure it looks like the above, not entirely similar but close to it as long as it ends with chrome.exe”.
- Click Apply >> OK.
Approximately 80% of the users resolved the issue in the second step. If you Google Chrome Redirect virus is still not removed, then you belong to the chosen ~20% and continue with the steps below.
3. Scan the Computer with the Recommended Anti-Malware Programs
There are actually 4 recommended tools and anti-malware programs: Google Chrome Cleanup Tool, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Kaspersky TDSSKiller and Hitman Pro. The Google Chrome Cleanup Tool and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware are able to detect and remove the malware most of the time. But if you want to thoroughly check your computer you can download, install and run one by one all the programs.
Scan with Google Chrome Cleanup Tool:
- Download Google Chrome Cleanup Tool.
- Double-click and run the executable file (chrome_cleanup_tool.exe).
- The Google Chrome Cleanup Tool will scan the computer and show the list of malicious software.
- Click Remove suspicious programs >> Reset.
Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:
- Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware trial.
- Double-click and run the program.
- The Malwarebytes Setup Wizard will open. Click Next >> … couple of Next buttons to click … >> Finish.
- Once installed, click the Scan Now button. Wait for few minutes to finish scanning and once its done, a list of malicious programs will be shown. Make sure all are selected (all checkboxes are maked) then click Quarantine Selected.
- Malwarebytes will then ask you to restart the computer to complete the removal process.
Scan with Kaspersky TDDSKiller:
- Download Kaspersky TDDSKiller.
- Double-click the file to open it.
- Click change parameters and leave only Loaded modules and Verify file digital signatures unchecked. Make sure the rest options got check marks.
- Press Start Scan button and wait for the scanning process.
- All the threats detected will be listed after the scan with the recommended actions. Click Continue button and Kaspersky TDDSKiller will require to reboot the computer after the actions were performed.
Scan with Hitman Pro:
- Download Hitman Pro trial.
- Double-click and install the program.
- Click Next buttons and it will start scanning the computer.
- Once finished, the list of malicious software detected will be shown along with the recommended actions. Click Next button to remove the threats.
- Click activate free license >> Next >> Next >> Close.
Those are the recommended steps to remove redirect virus from Google Chrome. I hope it worked in your end. If using this tutorial made the Google Chrome Redirect Virus removal successful, do let know in comment so other visitors will know. For further protection, use Kaspersky Internet Security (protects your computer and your browser).