To be straightforward, an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) Exemption is given ONLY to the Balik-Manggagawa (BM) workers who met the certain CONDITIONS set by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). The OEC, commonly referred to as Exit Clearance, is used by the vacationing OFWs as exit pass in the international port of the Philippines upon departure to return to their employers abroad.
So what are the conditions or who are exempted to secure an OEC? According to the POEA Memurandum Circular No. 6, these workers are exempted in securing an OEC:
- Balik-Manggagawa Workers who are returning to the same employer and jobsite.
- Balik-Manggagawa Workers who have existing record/s in the POEA database.
When you already got your first OEC and already registered to BM Online, follow the guide below to check if you are qualified for OEC Exemption. However, if you are not familiar with what is BM Online and how to register, read and follow this guide Balik-Manggagawa (BM) Online then go back here after.
How to Get OEC Exemption
- Log-in to your BM Online Account.
- Enter the Last Issued OEC Number.
- Update any necessary information on Personal Data, Contract Particulars and Beneficiaries.
- Click on the Acquire OEC or Exemption green button.
- A pop-up box will appear which you have to enter your flight schedule going back to the country of employment (example: Saudi Arabia, HongKong, Australia, etc.).
- Another pop-up box will prompt asking you if you are returning back to your previous employer and jobsite. Click on YES if you are.
- In this step, its either you will see an OEC Exemption Confirmation Message (see sample below) or you will be redirected to the Appointment Page which means you are NOT exempted and you have to set an appointment to get an OEC at the POEA Office .
- Given you are exempted in getting OEC, take a screenshot of the OEC Exemption Confirmation Message containing the BM Exemption Number and Instructions. Save it on your phone and show it on the Immigration Officer on the day of your departure going back to your country of employment.
There are cases that even if you have clicked the YES button when a pop-up box appeared asking you if “Are you returning to the same EMPLOYER and JOBSITE?“, you are redirected to the Appointment Page. The reason might fall in the following categories as assessed by the POEA:
- Watchlisted worker and/or OFW with watchlisted employer.
- OFWs returning to restricted or non-compliant country.
- Workers without POEA records / No record found / Discrepancy in any record.
- Undocumented workers (i.e., Tourist to OFW, Dependent to OFW, Student to OFW, etc.).
- Seabased workers who changed position to Landbased Worker.
For further details, it is recommended that you read the following regarding OEC Exemption (PDF Format) :
What do you think about the OEC Exemption? Share your thoughts on comment section and feel free to share this to someone you know abroad.